As Salaamu Alaikum,
I wanted to share my story of when I became muslim again.....
When I was about 10 years old I would go to church every Sunday so that I could sing. I just loved to sing, this was the year of 1971.
When the time came for the preacher to give his sermon I was not very interested in it, I could never understand how come those adults believe what he was saying. I never could believe Jesus being God's son and Jesus and God being one. I didn't know why I didn't believe, but I just didn't. I guess that was part of my inner self remembering the conveant that Allah (swt) took from all of Adam's descendants at the time of his creation.
As I grew older I remember telling my stepfather that I wanted to be a Nun and I wanted to be Jew, searching for what I was lonely for and that was a relationship with my Lord. By the time I was 14 years old I started seeing on the news about the war that was going on with Iran and Iraq, then I wanted to dress like those sisters there on the TV. I had no idea what I was talking about but it just filled my heart with a longing and a searching.
The only thing that was around me at the time was the Nation of Islam because I had cousins that were in that group, I knew for some reason that was not the answer for me. I did not know where a Masjid was in the area nor did I know any Muslims.
I told my mother of my feelings and she told me "when you get grown you can do what you want to do". I was still singing and stepfather was my manager, for some reason in my heart I knew that I really did not want that life.
I turned down opportunities with groups because I did not want to be stuck with that life style. Mind you I didn't know why I was feeling that way, I just know that I did not want my children if I had any to be apart of that life to grow up in that life, but I loved to sing and always did all the time every where. I went to live with my father that year and the feeling never went away. It wasn't until I was 17 years old that I met through a friend this brother who at the time I did not know was Muslim.
When I found out I started asking questions, because this is what I have been waiting for for 4 years. He took me to a Masjid and from there I started going on my own. I met friends who did not live too far from where I was staying and I took my Shahada in the year 1979. As all new muslims do there was alot to learn and alot of mistakes to make.
As we all know there are many people out there who have there own understanding and they want to teach it and we listen until we learn better and learning never ever stops, insha'Allah. Alhamdulillah for Allah's guidance and protection, Allah has blessed me with a lot common sense and this has allowed me to dig deeper and search harder for more and more knowledge. I can say in the 21 years and 5 children this deen is never ending Masha'Allah.
Each year brings more and more joy and more and more understanding. As you get older your closeness to Allah feels deeper. I can remember when I was in my 20's and at the time the Masjid
was International Brother Hood, I was there for Jumah and there was no one there but old men, I thought. During and after the Kutbah they were crying and I was thinking to myself why are they crying so much, and I can not understand what they are talking about, I was like I have to go where there are people my age I just can't get with this.
HA HA I am now one of those people who are crying and crying and I pray that I do more crying, Masha'Allah. I beg of you sisters and brothers please hang in there, your reward is coming, insha'Allah. I know when we first take our Shahada we are so into this Deen and we want to know everything there is to know, we do lots of reading and studying, but as time goes on and we get married and have the children and have to work or what ever, that time we use to have is gone and you can't get all the things in that you use to do. You sit and wonder how you use to learn all this and that and read all this and that. You must try not to loose it, you must try to keep focus with Islam and pray everyday to Allah to give you more.
Shadiyah Bey telling us how did she convert to Islam
As Salaamu Alaikum,
We sometimes hear and read about hisbah (guarding against infringements) and rijaal al-hisbah (men who guard against infringements). Who a...
We often hear about al-Jathoom, which is a jinni that sits (yajthum) on a person’s chest if he has been neglecting prayer or other duties. I...
It is with sorrow that i ask this question.My friend has been raped be her father for many years.She was conceived outside her parent's ...
Would please tell me what the symbol "~" has effect on the meaning of word or phrase of the holy Quran If some one does not Pr...
An Article written by Shaikh Abdur Rahman Abdul Khaliq My brothers and sisters everywhere! With this essay, I am not singling out the adhe...
Is it prescribed for the one who commits a sin to give charity after that?. Praise be to Allaah. Giving voluntary charity is a confirmed Sun...
All praise is due to Allah, Who has guided us to the straightest path, Whom we ask to provide us with relentless non wearisome determinati...
All praise is due to Allah alone, and prayers and peace of Allah be upon the last Prophet, our prophet Muhammad, and all his family and co...
There are two things that may happen during intercourse or foreplay between a man and his wife, which is where the woman may reach climax bu...
Asalam mu alay koem Dear Brother, Please let me know if this is true or not, a lady whom i go to Talim Classes with has told me that vegetab...
- ► 2012 (274)
- Former pastor, missionary, professor in Divinity c...
- Interview with a 3 days old Muslimah !
- What Islam has done for me ?
- Anne : From devoted Christian to devoted Muslim
- Shadiyah Bey telling us how did she convert to Isl...
- 19 years old Candadian girl looking for the truth ...
- Amazing Interview with a 14 years old new Muslimah...
- Cat Stevens : How I came to Islam
- Leading Muslim Women To The light of 20th Century ...
- I Had Not Gone Shopping for a New Religion
- The Meaning of Ramadan
- Ramadhan Warriors
- The Virtues of Allah’s sacred month of Muharram an...
- What is the reason why fasting is prescribed?
- A Ramadhan Checklist
- The Meaning of Ramadan
- When the Night Equals a Thousand
- The Great Virtue of Ramadan
- The virtue of the last ten days of Ramadaan and La...
- Reaping the benefits of Ramadan
- Important Lessons From Ramadan
- The fasting person has two occasions for joy
- Before the Sand Slips Away
- What After Ramadan?
- Eat and drink, but be not excessive
- Welcoming the Arrival of Ramadan
- fasting in the second half of Sha’baan
- The virtue of fasting six days of Shawwaal
- Why do Muslims fast?
- A Day in a Faster's Life
- The virtues of Ramadaan
- The Last Ten Days
- Why Muslims Love the Month of Ramadan?
- The Muslim in Ramadaan
- Voluntary Fasting
- Ruling on zakaat al-fitr and how much is to be pai...
- 25 Advisory opinions (fatwa) for women in Ramadan
- Repenting In Ramadan
- A tear in Ramadan
- Ten ways to receive Ramadan
- 5 ways to make this Ramadan extraordinary!
- Preparation of the Winners in Ramadan
- How do we receive Ramadan?
- Great Ramadan ideas for children
- Turn off that stove!
- WELCOME RAMADAN
- Why must we be generous on Ramadan?
- The Quran from the perspective of a non-Muslim
- Is there a Creator ?!
- What do Muslims believe about Jesus?
- 12 Proofs that Muhammad (Peace be upon him ) was a...
- Muhammad, The Prophet of Allah
- Human Rights in Islam
- Why Muslims Believe that Islam is the truth
- Islam: Misunderstood throughout the World
- On Religious Tolerance
- Basics of faith
- Do You Know This Book ?
- The Objective Reasoning and The Convincing Islam
- The Most Extraordinary Incident Ever!
- Islamic Concept of God
- A complete code of life
- Dar Al-Islam And Dar Al-Harb: Its Definition and S...
- Insight of a Muslim Judge
- Islam is your Birthright
- The Merits of Islam
- Believe It or Not: You were Born Muslim!
- 7 Reasons to Read the Glorious Quran
- Concerning mockery of the Prophet (peace and bless...
- Believe It or Not: You were Born Muslim!
- Virtues of Friday
- The Deen of Islam
- The Right of Allah, the Almighty
- Greatness of Allah subhaanahu wa ta`aalaa
- Advice for New Muslims or those considering Islam
- The reason why jihaad is prescribed
- Why Do Priests & Preachers Enter ISLAM?
- Etiquette of the seeker of knowledge
- The problem of the one who memorizes Qur’aan and c...
- He wants to marry a girl but she wants to go to un...
- Those who follow madhhabs and refuse to learn
- Memorizing Qur’aan and Sunnah
- Our attitude towards differences among the scholar...
- He is asking about the length of Nuh’s ship
- Is it permissible for a woman to uncover her face ...
- Women meeting for halaqahs and study circles
- Mixing of male and female students for a project r...
- Is it obligatory to follow a particular madhhab?
- Brief overview of the madhhab of Imam Abu Haneefah...
- Woman travelling to seek knowledge without a mahra...
- Does feeling pleased with one’s grades contradict ...
- Studying Islamic knowledge (sharee’ah sciences) in...
- Man teaching women Qur’aan memorization from behin...
- He found out that his Shaykh deals with jinn
- Reasons why a person who has recently become right...
- We do not advise you to continually read the books...
- Virtue of teaching Arabic
- Are there any weak points in Islam that enable the...
- The knowledge which is praised by Allaah in the Qu...
- Is it waajib (obligatory) for non-Arabs to learn A...
- ▼ November (129)